Tuesday 23 October 2012

The paperback version and beyond

Screenshot from http://www.clachaig.com/p/v/whats-on/february/
The Only Genuine Jones has only been available for a few days, but I'm already scheming ahead to think about the next step. It gives me great pleasure to announce that my book will be available in paperback from the 27th of February 2013 (if all goes to plan!) On this date I will be hosting a small event at the Clachaig Inn, Glencoe, a location which is both an important setting and inspiration for my story. The fine details have yet to be worked out, but I will be doing a brief talk, there will be the opportunity to chat with me and ask questions in person, and there will be signed copies of my book available to buy--for the first time in paperback!

Shortly after this event, the paperback will become generally available through Amazon, thanks to the magic of print on demand via Feed a Read. I am aiming for a price point of approximately £7.99 although this is subject to change.

The paperback is also going to be a special edition, featuring additional material that never made it into the Kindle version. I won't be giving too much away before the event but you can expect illustrations, diagrams, and appendices.

What about those who have made the plunge to ereading but don't own a Kindle? Don't worry, I am in the process of converting OGJ prior to uploading to Smashwords, a company who distribute ebooks to all the other main digital booksellers. OGJ will shortly be available to download on Kobo, Nook, and just about every other contemporary device.

On the Kindle front, sales have plateaued after the big spike on day 1 and 2, and I have dropped back to #2,760 in the overall bestseller list (down from a peak of just over #1,400 yesterday). I'm no longer on the top 100 list for historical fiction and am at #2 in mountaineering. Hopefully, as people read the book, post reviews, and tell their friends, the book will edge back up the lists again! Checking my sales reports and ranking will quickly become addictive, I can tell, so I need to learn how to partition my activities between 'sales and promotion stuff', and 'writing more material for future books' ...

No comments: