Wednesday 18 July 2012

I have a cover design!

Ta-da!
Thanks to the swift and very talented work of John Amy, I have a cover design I'm happy with!

Creating a cover for The Only Genuine Jones wasn't an easy order. The design has to convey genre and tone instantly, even at thumbnail size. It has to get across the message that the book is set in the past, but I didn't want it to look dusty or faded: this is a story about real people facing modern problems, not a rose-tinted look back at a byegone age.

Vintage yet modern ... historical fiction ... a big dose of mountains ... all round, a difficult blend. I think John's design strikes the balance very well, although it took us a while to get there with plenty of discussion generated by his original ideas. It had to be just right.

The mountain in the background is the Eiger, which features prominently in the story, and the ice axe is the 'Prima' design, very similar to the one Jones used in his final years of life. I'm very grateful to the owner of the image for allowing me to use it.







Needless to say, the design is very strictly all rights reserved.
Cover design and montage by John Amy, www.ebookdesigner.co.uk
Ice axe original photo courtesy of Monte Dodge

2 comments:

Rosen Trevithick said...

A really great cove. I think it will attract many readers.

Carte Postale said...

Looks like a really interesting book. Can't wait to read it! Well done :)